Hand cross stitchers are a rare breed. While many stitchers are busy with their massive personal projects, some find they really enjoy stitching these lovely squares for Canadians. We do have ongoing projects and themes that have no deadlines at all, but our special request quilts all have due dates. It’s so tempting to jump in and want to stitch for everyone!
We do have a few common-sense guidelines:
- Please don’t sign up for more than you can do within the time frame.
- Please remember that your square will need travel time to reach the Project Coordinator. Don’t wait until the due date to mail your squares. It’s best to mail them as soon as they are stitched!
- If you have signed up for a square on a special request quilt and can’t do it for any reason, please contact one of the admins immediately so that we can arrange for a replacement.
- If the project has given you the materials and/or chart to stitch, we do expect you will put them to (our) good use.
- We do ask that you wash your squares before you send them, though this is not a requirement.
- Please include a note with your square telling the Project Coordinator if the square has been washed and who it is for.
- If you need help or have any questions, your admins are there to help you. Feel free to join our Facebook group and post.
The suggested sizes are listed under each type of project as well as on the individual project page. In general, you will be using 12″x12″ white or off white Aida or cotton evenweave. You will get to decide the count you use to achieve the desired design sizes. If the stitched area is too small, your square will look lost among the larger squares on the quilt. Too large, and the quilter may end up stitching over part of your design during the quilting process.
For example, if you are doing a 12″ Special Request square, the stitched area should be between 6 and 8 inches:
- 11 count – 66×66 to 88×88
- 14 count – 84×84 to 112×112
- 16 count – 96×96 to 128×128
These are rough guidelines only, and certainly doesn’t mean that you can’t use a smaller design. You just may need to add a border or stitch on a larger thread count. If you have questions, please contact us or post a message in our Facebook group and we will be happy to help you out.