We get so many requests for dog and horse squares for our quilt recipients that we decided we needed to do a special Stitch Along to help collect squares for 3 of our quilts in progress plus several requests waiting in the wings. All of these quilt recipients are either military veterans or First Responders dealing with the devastion of PTSD. Animals hold a very special place in their hearts and are so instrumental in the recovery process. So, how can you help? It’s very very easy. Our Facebook Page will be hosting an event the next two weeks to help get you started. We will even post several simple charts to make it easier. You don’t have to join our group to participate but if you do enjoy doing this type of work, you may well want to!
The themes for this are Dogs (cute, funny, realistic), Horses, or Animal Lovers
For Hand Cross Stitchers:
- We work with 14 or 16 count white or off-white Aida cut 12″x12″.
- Please whipstitch or zigzag your edges to prevent fraying.
- Please use a colourfast cotton embroidery thread such as DMC, Anchor, or Sullivan’s to stitch
- Your chosen design size should be between 6″x6″ and 8″x8″ or 84×84 to 112×112 stitches
- Sign your name and location close to your design if you choose
- Wash your completed piece and mail it to our Project Coordinator (email us at can @ canadastitches dot com for the address)
- We work with white or off-white cotton fabrics cut 12″x12″.
- Your chosen design size should be between 6″x6″ and 8″x8″
- Mail it to our Project Coordinator (email us at can @ canadastitches dot com for the address)
For the hand stitchers, there are many ideas out there on the net. Etsy and Craftsy both have very low cost designs that are perfect both in theme and size.
While there is no time limit on these, we do have quilts in progress right now that can use these themes. We will accept these any time, of course.
So, while you are out doing that after Christmas shopping, add some extra fabric and take some time out to stitch a square for someone who needs a little extra love.